How to Write a Check with Zero Cents – It is normal and very common to have doubts about completing the check. It is very important that you fill out the check correctly to minimize the possibility of fraud, that it is not paid/accepted, etc.
First of all, I must make it very clear that both the person who is issuing the check and the one who is receiving it must be aware of the rules so that neither party is prejudiced.
In this post, you will find the tips on how to fill out a check, and if you still doubt, write in the comments that I will answer! Check out:
How to fill out a check?
I took the check below on the internet just as a template to make it easier to understand.
- In numbers: put a # before and after the number to avoid adding numbers;
- In extenso: Start typing at the beginning (right after “the amount of”), as it also prevents words from being added to adulterate the value. The cents, you do not need to write, note that on the check says “and cents up” (in this model does not have, but the actual checks have). No need to place parenthesis before and after, it is optional.
- Nominative field “a”
- The above example is correct. It says: “Casa Jose Antonio”, and there at the end has the phone (this is not required to put, but it is a good idea). Why is this so important? Because if the check does not compensate for lack of funds or another reason, the check’s issuer will find out who the check is through the microfilming the bank provides. This company or person who is described in this line is the true beneficiary of the check, regardless of how many endorsements they have, it will issue a letter of consent, for example.
- Checks over R $ 100.00 it is mandatory to write the name of someone in this field, otherwise, the check will not compensate.
- Fill in the full name. If you are a beneficiary and fill only Mary, at the time of giving a letter of consent, and Mary can free the debtor.
- It is not mandatory to fill in case of deposit. The bank does not return, but it is important because if any legal proceeding occurs, the city will be indicated on the check.
- Fill in the city of your home, or the one of your bank branch.
- Day: in numeral
- Month: written in length. The check is returned if instead of being written in May, you are 05.
- Year: in numeral.
- Sign in according to your signature registered at the bank.
- I changed my subscription, now what? Go to the bank, at the branch office of your account, and change there too.
- Write in the southpaw
- Make a habit of having maximum control of your checks: for those who have passed, the combined date, the value, etc. Because if you have any problems you will know who to look for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to cross a check?
It’s not mandatory. If the check is crossed, it will only be paid through an account deposit, and if it is not crossed, it can be paid in the cashier’s mouth. That’s the difference.
What if the value in words is different from the numeric value?
Worth the written value always. I already got a case of being written “two thousand reais”, and in the numeral was “R $ 2,200.00”. Conclusion: this check is worth two thousand reais.
I wrote a check without funds, I want to recover the check to clear my name, how do I?
If you do not know who has gone, you can go to the bank to request a microfilming of the check. There you will see who is nominal. But there are several problems:
- The microfilming of the bank may be very illegible, you will see that there is a John there at the beginning, but the rest is difficult to understand;
- Can be abbreviated in name, etc.
See how key it is to maintain control, and for you to fill in the data correctly in the nominative field, any problems later will be easy to solve.
I put a date, but the payee deposited the check beforehand and had no balance. And now?
The check is a cash order, that is, the person deposits when they want. What matters is her good faith in depositing on the combined date.
The date will only serve for the purpose of the prescription period (that is when the check will no longer be valid and the bank will not pay). The limitation period is:
- presentation period, which is 30 days from the date of issue, for checks issued in the same square of the bank drawn; and 60 days for checks issued in another place; and
- period, which is 6 months from the end of the deadline.
Are they paying me by check, is it filled out according to the rules, do I still run a risk of not receiving?
Run. The truth is that there is a fraud with bad checks.
Have you closed a deal and will you get paid by check? Do not transfer your property / well before clearing it. The best in such cases is always to receive transfer via DOC/TED.
In addition, the check may have no funds, etc. That is, always very careful, the ideal is still to make an SPC / SERASA consultation.